What has the keto diet taught you?

I really like this question because I think it’s very important to learn from your experiences, especially when it comes to nutrition and health. I have put myself through numerous diets and I’ve successfully lost weight on many, gained muscle mass on many and I’ve also horribly gained weight after many too.
Extreme Diets and the results are usually temporary as they are difficult to maintain for long term and the key is to find a balanced way of eating all the food groups so that this plan can become a lifestyle.
Focusing on what I’ve learned from the Ketogenic Diet, the biggest realization for me was that healthy fats are a very crucial nutrient in your diet for weightloss and I really learned to let go of the fear of eating fats. Marketing of low fat and reduced fat products in the health industry has been going on for years now and I didn’t realize how much of a health scam some of these products are until I put myself through the keto diet. I learned how processed those products are and how almost all low fat and fat free foods are much higher in carbohydrates than the whole versions. Once fat is removed from food a lot of the nutrition is also removed and replaced with some form of carbohydrate.
Healthy fats are very important for a balanced diet and include; Monounsaturated fatty acids (found in plant foods such as nuts and avocados), polyunsaturated fatty acids (found in fatty fish like salmon and mackerel) and even saturated fats (studies show that there is no correlation between saturated fats raising LDL cholesterol and heart disease, however many doctors still recommend moderately eating saturated fats). These essential fats are important for making necessary hormones and are vital for absorbing fat soluble vitamins. Therefore following a low fat diet can result in a lowered immune system as well as bone health, skin, hair and nails.
Another huge point I learned from dieting in general is how carbohydrates really affect the human body and many metabolic processes. Carbohydrates cause an increase in insulin and store glucose as glycogen in the liver and muscle cells. Refined carbohydrates are typically high in sugar and low in fiber, which results in an even greater insulin spike and can result in filling up all your glycogen stores and therefore some fat cells. Every gram of carbohydrate stored in the body as glycogen results in 2–3 grams of water being retained in the body as well. That is why significant water retention occurs after a large quantity of carbs are consumed, as well as the water retention that comes with the high amount of sodium in many refined carbohydrates. However I also learned that complex carbohydrates are an important part of a balanced diet and provide significant energy for physical activity and concentration. Complex carbohydrates are also high in fiber, which aids in digestion and also promotes feeling full for a longer amount of time. Removing refined and simple carbohydrates is definitely beneficial for a persons health and weightloss success but severly limiting complex carbohydrates too can cause lethargy and a decrease in physical and mental performance. After really struggling at school and constantly being exhausted I learned that not all carbohydrates are evil, just the ones that have a ton of added sugar, no fiber and all the other gibberish looking ingredients on the packaging.
The first two photos are before and after examples of myself after just two days of heavy carbohydrate and fat binging for the HCG diet... carbohydrates should not be included for the fat loading portion of the HCG diet, especially not simple carbs, but I was an extreme exercise bulimic at the time and craved to do both.

In the first photo I was on more of a plant based diet that was high in protein, moderate fat and lower in carbohydrates. My body fat percentage was at 8%, which is way too low for a female and not healthy. I wish I hadn’ felt the need to test the HCG diet on myself but I don’t like to sell anything diet related to patients at the office I work at without trying the diet myself. (Excuse the wine glass… I was celebrating completing my final exams)

The above after photo shows just how much water the muscle cells can hold after a significant increase in carbohydrate consumption.
Another thing I learned is that although polyunsaturated fatty acids are healthy many people consume too much Omega-6 fatty acids (found in vegetable oils, dairy, pork and beef). A high consumption of Omega-6 can cause a significant increase in inflammation and its been studied to even cause depression. On the other hand increasing omega-3 fatty acid consumption reduces inflammation, enhances memory and decreases joint problems. Therefore it is recommended to replace your protein in meals with salmon or other fatty fish a couple times a week in order to increase Omega-3.
Over all I have learned so much from dieting, and sadly I have learned even more from the eating disorders I developed from the excessive dieting and the extremes I have pushed myself through. One day when I am fully recovered I plan on sharing my full detailed story and photos from my experience with binge eating disorder, bulimia and anorexia.
Here is a photo at my worst point with my physical health after years of dieting. This photo was about 8 months after I successfully lost weight on the ketogenic diet, and I was horribly depressed that I gained it all back and more. I was put on numerous different antidepressants and other medication for binge eating disorder and bulimia because I began heavily binging processed carbohydrates due to insatiable cravings for anything and everything sweet. I think these cravings had a lot to do with the months of extreme carb restricting I did.

The greatest thing I have learned from all my years of excessive dieting is to love and accept yourself for who you are and not how you look, letting go of perfectionism and allowing yourself to find balance and moderation with food and exercise.
This final picture is how I looked 3 years ago BEFORE I started experimenting with all the different diets and completely eliminating food groups. This was when I had a balanced/moderate plan of eating and exercise routine. This is also when I felt the best.

I apologize for the excessive answer but I’ve been looking forward to writing it all week. Hopefully my photos don’t offend anyone but I’ve learned pictures are really worth a thousand words. I really want others to learn from my nutrition mistakes that were painful, damaged my health and that I am still in the process of recovering from two years later. If I could save anyone else from pushing their own bodies and themselves too far then all of it was possibly worth it.

No comments: