What’s the actual way to lose fat? The ketogenic diet or a simple balanced diet with a calorie deficit?

 


I'm going to give you some advice which goes against the grain here. I think it's disheartening talking about diets and calorie deficit. I'm speaking from experience here, so I do know what I'm talking about.

The keto diet is quite good - it's implemented the wrong way by many people. The issue is that people tend to eat A LOT of protein. This is counterproductive to the whole process. We want our body to start burning our stored fat for energy. Unfortunately, consuming too much protein will train the body to convert it to sugar - so you end up burning that off for energy instead of your body fat. Keto works well in the beginning, but your body will start to get burnt out as a result. You will begin to stagnate eventually, and most likely chuck in the towel.

One thing I'd like to point out is that going low carb daily exhausts your thyroid as well. That will result in an even more sluggish metabolism. Done well, and adequately, the keto can help you lose a lot of body fat - especially if you are on the obese side. Done incorrectly, and you will not reach its full potential.

After all this negativity, what do I recommend instead?

Intermittent fasting!

Intermittent fasting is your best strategy for fat loss - long term, in the easiest, cost-effective and sustainable way. You eat less, and you don't have to go extremely low calorie when you are eating, and you feel terrific. Now, please don't think this is the simplest thing to do straight away. It does take time to stop feeling like rubbish when you start fasting. It's the bodies natural process to experience many uncomfortable feelings in the beginning, like extreme urination, hunger, tiredness and no energy for exercise. This does not last for very long. It will be 1–2 weeks max I promise you! Ride the tide and let it slide.

Fasting will give you results within the first week. The duration and length of fasting will depend on your goals, Fasting every day is a great strategy, but you don't have to if that's not your cup of tea. Every other day or 3 intense 24-hour fasts per week will give you great results. I fast every day, and I'm so used to it now, I haven't diverted back. Once you do this for a while, you don't feel hungry anymore, and your best resource of energy is when you don't eat. Plus, you put on muscle and maintain it too.

Some of you may be skeptical, so I urge you to do some research, and perhaps give it a try and see for yourself. I've done most diets - keto, paleo, low carb, low calorie. They all suck - and you can't sustain them at all. With fasting, it took me a good six months to lose body fat. I was at the stage in which I was doing far too much cardio and dieting. My body was not going to give in easily. Slowly, with patience and proper training - not to mention nutrition, I was able to become leaner, muscular and my body can now tolerate higher calories, more carbs and my blood sugar levels are still low. Once you train your body to burn fat stores for energy, it just keeps on doing it. Is it sustainable for me? Absolutely! Do I train fasted - yes, I most certainly do. Can I lift heavy and train hard as well - of course, you can!


With any eating plan, I do always recommend you have a day or two of eating an abundance of calories. That shocks the body and replenishes it's glycogen stores. I do this a lot when I train with heavyweights. Now, not so much - as the bands are the best that I can get to right now. When gyms open up again, it will be back onto the heavy metal.

Please do give fasting a go as a strategy to achieve your body reshaping goals. I have found it to be the best and fastest way to make trigger fat loss, and I won't ever go back to these silly diets ever again. Stick with what's worked for our ancestors because we have not changed much metabolically. It's just now, we have a multitude of food to choose from, and unfortunately, make the wrong choices too often.


No comments: